Camp Oven Recipes should be easy and quick to prepare, leaving you more time to enjoy the local activities on offer.
Spicy Enchiladas cooked in a cast iron camp oven are a great alternative to the traditional meat and 3 veg.
Prepping the filling and storing in a tuppaware container cuts down on prep time at camp. Plus less dishes to clean while out bush, bonus!
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic.
- 375G Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce (Available at Woolies)
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – Chopped into liberal chunks
- 1 Red Capsicum – Dice
- 1/2 Red Onion – dice
- Jalapeno Whole or Chilli
- 2 Cups of
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Cumin
- 5 Flour Tortillas
- 2 Cups Grated Cheese (Approx – Can Add More if You LOVE Cheese)
- Black Beans Cooked Canned
- Build up the fire and let it burn down to produce a great source of coals to be used as your main heat source.
- Place the camp oven to the side of the fire thats producing a medium heat. Be mindful not to get the oven TOO hot at this stage.
- Next, add the bell peppers, capsicum and splash of oil. Fry off until they soften then add your garlic, onion, cumin and salt. Once all nicely blended together and you can smell the aroma’s remove from heat and place to the side.
- Place 1/2 Cup of Old El Paso Enchilada sauce to the bottom of the camp oven and coat.
- Place the pre cooked sauteed vegetables and black beans in the centre of your Flour tortillas. Add a bit of cheese for extra taste. Then wrap enchilada and ensure all ingredients are sealed within and cannot escape. Place the enchaladas seam side down to prevent them spilling ingredients during cooking. Repeat process 4-5 Times as required.
- Once enchiladas are in the oven, cover with the remaining Old El Paso sauce and put a layer of cheese over top.
- Next, dig a hole and shovel in a nice bed of coals and place the oven directly on top. Then apply another half a shovel of coals to the top. By cooking meals off to the side with own applied coals gives you much more control over the amount of heat compared to being placed directly onto the fire.
- Cook for 10-15 Minutes or until cheese has melted, let sit for 2 minutes off the heat then serve. Finish with red chilli’s or fresh Jalapeno’s.
- CAST IRON CAMP OVEN -> FIND ONE HERE <-
- CAST IRON LID HANDLE -> FIND ONE HERE <-
- HEAT PROOF GLOVES -> FIND ONE HERE <-
Stay tuned for more Camp Oven Recipes or join our Mailing list below.